I love cooking a special breakfast on Christmas morning, but sometimes this can be tricky when dealing with food allergies. Today, I’m sharing a delicious recipe perfect for Christmas morning with the family!
French toast is a favorite in our family. My kids and husband love it! This “eggnog” recipe is a fun, festive twist on a classic breakfast dish.
I used whole chia seeds as an egg replacement instead of ground seeds to give just the perfect amount of ‘crunch’ to this chewy toast and I loved it! I topped mine with bananas but you could use almost any berry or many other toppings, get creative!
Share some of your favorite allergy-friendly french toast toppings in the comments!
- 3 cups your favorite dairy-free milk
- 2 Tbsp. tapioca starch
- 1 ½ tsp. pure vanilla extract
- ¼ cup agave
- ⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 heaping tablespoon chia seeds (whole or ground) or flax meal
- 4-5 slices of your choice of bread (I used Texas toast for a thicker cut but it's purely preference)
- Combine ½ cup of the milk with the tapioca starch. Whisk until it becomes frothy. Add vanilla extract. Whisk well to combine.
- Combine 1 ½ cups of the milk with agave in a saucepan. Whisk. Add nutmeg and whisk well to combine. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat, stirring often. Add tapioca starch mixture to pot. Heat, whisking continuously, until it reaches a simmer. Once it’s slightly thickened, add the remaining cup of milk. Reduce heat to low, stirring continuously for approx 4 mins until mixture is thick and creamy.
- Pour into a pitcher or jar and chill for 4 hours. Once it has chilled, add the chia or flax and let sit for about 10 minutes to thicken.
- Preheat a non-stick skillet or griddle to medium heat. (Lightly toast bread if your bread is really fresh and soft.) Dip bread into the batter on each side and place in skillet for about 3-4 minutes on each side (or until golden brown.)
- Top with your favorite toppings (honey, syrup, whipped cream, fruit, etc.)
Looking for an allergy-friendly cookie recipe? These sugar cookies are perfect to leave out for Santa :)