Did you know? I mean. You probably did. But just in case, here are a few major things that I think everyone should know. Whether you have food allergies or not, these are crucial facts! —>
- Researchers estimate that up to 15 million Americans have food allergies.
- This potentially deadly disease affects 1 in every 13 children (under 18 years of age) in the U.S. That’s roughly two in every classroom.
- Every 3 minutes, a food allergy reaction sends someone to the emergency department – that is more than 200,000 emergency department visits per year.
- Eight foods account for 90 percent of all reactions: milk, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, soy, wheat, fish and shellfish. Even trace amounts of a food allergen can cause a reaction.
And this is the fact that really blows me away.
According to a study released in 2013 by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, food allergies among children increased approximately 50% between 1997 and 2011.
Fifty percent. The chances that you don’t have anyone in your life with food allergies is so slim now. Which is why we wanted to team up with many others bringing awareness to food allergies this week!
Whether you are new to the community, or a seasoned veteran, you know how important it is to have a tribe of people surrounding you. And not just surrounding you, but understanding, sympathizing, learning and loving!
04. Bitsy’s Brainfood: nut free (see nutritional facts here)
Enter below and thanks for helping to spread the word about allergy awareness! :)
No purchase necessary. Open to legal residents of the US, ages 18 or older. Sweepstakes ends 12:00am EST on May 22, 2015. Employees/contractors of Scratch or Sniff are not eligible. Void where prohibited. Please allow 3-6 weeks for delivery after contest has ended.