I am calling these donuts perfect because they kind of are! They couldn’t be easier to make, they’re good for you AND they’re nut/dairy/egg free! (Can easily be made gluten free as well.) And last, but definitely not least, they’re absolutely delicious!
I stopped at a convenience store yesterday after dropping my dog off at the groomer and I picked a donut out of the case. It looked delicious and I was starving. But when I bit into the donut I felt like I was shoveling spoonfuls of sugar in my mouth. It was jelly filled and topped with the sweetest, stickiest icing. It was good for about a bite or two, then I started feeling like it might have been a mistake. The sweetness was overwhelming. These donuts are the perfect amount of sweet (I topped mine with a mixture of brown sugar, cinnamon and sprinkles) but they won’t make your mouth pucker from the sugar overload. And you can feed them to the kids in the morning without worrying about a sugar crash at school.
Try these awesome donuts on Thanksgiving morning! They’ll be festive and easy (since, you’ll probably be cooking all day already!) You can get creative with toppings and glazes. Let us know what you come up with in the comments!
- Boxed yellow cake mix (I used Immaculate, an all-natural mix) You can use a gluten-free mix if needed
- 1 can (15 oz) pumpkin puree
- 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice (can use homemade to avoid cross contamination)
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Combine cake mix, pumpkin and spices until blended. Batter will be thick!
- Scoop batter into donut pan and spread evenly (I just used my hands because the batter was so thick but a spatula may work, too).
- Bake for approx 9 minutes.
- Top with toppings of your choice (cinnamon/sugar, glaze, powdered sugar, caramel, etc.)