When I first discovered quinoa, I didn’t really know how to prepare it. Do I use it as a replacement for rice? Cook it up with a pork roast and veggies? I looked on Pinterest and saw some recipes that looked good, but I never actually tried them. (Am I the only one that pins tons of yummy recipes and never makes them?) Then one night, I was scrambling to come up with something for dinner and just started throwing things together. My hubby loves it when I do this (grin).
“Hey babe, what are we having for dinner?”
“Uh, some quinoa concoction.”
Yeah, the “oh.” means he’s not excited.
But it actually turned out pretty good! We eat it regularly and it’s super quick and easy, which is the best part, I think!
As the quinoa is finishing cooking, I add the corn for a few minutes to heat it through (or you can steam it separately.) Then I combine all ingredients into a pot and heat through for a few minutes.
And just like that, you have a hearty, healthy meal the whole family will love!
I usually end up with leftovers for lunch the next day too (bonus!)
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup dry quinoa
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 10 oz bag of frozen corn
- 1 16 oz container fresh salsa (or homemade is even better!)
- 1 can black beans (rinsed and drained)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2-3 tsp garlic
- Cook quinoa per instructions on package using broth instead of water.
- Saute chicken in olive oil and garlic until cooked through.
- Steam corn and add it to the quinoa along with the cooked chicken, salsa, and drained black beans.
- Heat through and serve with a side of tortilla chips! Can top with ranch dressing if desired.